16 Things We Learned From Guan Tianlang’s Weibo Feed
Eighth-grader loves the "large tracts of undulating smooth smooth chipping greens" at Augusta
The emergence of 14-year-old Chinese prodigy Guan Tianlang has been one of the most prominent storylines at this year’s Masters. The youngest player in the history of golf’s most prestigious tournament—and the youngest player at any major in 148 years—managed a +4 for the first two rounds, good enough to narrowly slide under the cut.
But that’s nothing compared to his skills on social media.
Guan, who arrived at Augusta several weeks ago to familiarize himself with the environs, seems happy to answer just about any question for his roughly 23,000 followers on Weibo (i.e. China’s Twitter). Here are 16 things we learned from reading his excellent feed (@guantianlang), with a massive assist from the inconsistently reliable Google Translate.
1. His goal is to win all four “Grand Slam” tournaments.
2. Jack Nicklaus wrote him a congratulatory letter when he qualified for the Masters.
3. His dream pairing for the opening round of the Masters was Tiger Woods and Tom Watson. (He got stuck with two-time champ Ben Crenshaw and Matteo Manassero.)
4. Kobe Bryant is his favorite basketball star but he’s never been to a Lakers game.
5. He wants Tiger to break Jack Nicklaus's record for Grand Slam victories—and then he wants to break Tiger's record. (Whether he's talking about Tiger's record of being the youngest Masters winner or the Nicklaus record that he wants Tiger to beat is unclear. Looking at you, Google Translate.)
6. This is what an official invitation to the Masters looks like.
7. Two things he hopes to accomplish at Augusta: getting Tiger’s autograph and meeting Jack Nicklaus.
9. And he loves posting pictures. Here’s one with Phil Mickelson, who is “infected” with “positive energy” and who has “constantly encouraged me to strengthen my confidence.”
10. He hit a few holes with Vinjy Singh, who “was very friendly and [has] superb skills.”
11. He played four holes with Luke Donald: “He taught me a lot, and I learned a lot!”
12. His caption for this photo with Nelson Du Funa translates to: “Du Funa did not go to God.” Google Translate: Come on, bro.
13. His caption for this photo translated to “Large tracts of undulating smooth smooth chipping greens.” We'll assume Google Translate nailed that one.
14. Selfie: “For a new golf bag and feel happy!”
15. He even makes 24-year-old Rickie Fowler feel old. (And Google Translate refers to 24-year-old as the much-older sounding "Rich Fowler." So that works.)
And 16: He loves posting video, especially when it’s of him nearly making an this insane putt.