12 Things You Might Not Know About Charles Barkley, Who Turns 50 Today
The Round Mound of Rebound gets his AARP card
Charles Barkley celebrates his 50th birthday today. Here are 12 things you might not know about the Hall of Fame hoopster and would-be politician turned award-winning broadcaster.
1. He hosted Saturday Night Live with Nirvana.
3. He doesn’t tweet.
4. He once punk’d Manute Bol (with an assist from Rick Mahorn).
5. He was featured in a 2008 freeware JRPG called Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa. It was an unofficial sequel to Barkley’s 1994 game for Super Nintendo and the 1996 film Space Jam.
6. When asked about the death threats aimed at the 1992 Dream Team, he described the blend of security and groupies at the team’s hotel as: “Girl in bikini; dude with an Uzi; girl in bikini; guy with Uzi.”
7. He won an Emmy and is thus 25 percent of the way to EGOT.
8. In a May 2006 interview with ESPN, he estimated that he’d lost about $10 million gambling over the years.
9. He once drew the passive-aggressive ire of San Antonio’s mayor.
10. When the 76ers traded Moses Malone in 1986, he called it “the saddest day of my life.”
Ray Amati/Getty Images
11. He loves pizza.
12. Once a 10-handicap golfer who could break 80, he can no longer break 100.
Dave Martin/Getty Images